Cycling in pristine
The owner Jože will be happy to advise and help with planning your routes.
If you think that you have already cycled through every landscape imaginable and that nothing can surprise you anymore, then you must go for a ride in Dolenjska and Bela krajina. Forget about crowds and heat. Spend a hot day cycling in the Dolenjska forest (in summer you can cycle all day in the Gorjanci or Kočevski Rog regions) or discover the diverse wine-growing hills, where you have many options for both easier and harder trails (ideal tours for electric bikes).
Novo mesto is a cycling center in Slovenia and has a long tradition. The local cycling team Adria Mobil produced talents, such as Jani Brajkovič, and Primož Roglič, one of the best riders in the world. There is a velodrome nearby where world and European champions can be seen training (Filippo Ganna, Elia Viviani) and for almost 30 years our club has been organizing the Tour of Slovenia, which traditionally ends in Novo mesto. Competitors from Croatia, Serbia, Slovakia, the Qatari national team, DOS participants (charity cycling around Slovenia) have spent the night in our cycling hotel… as well as many recreational cyclists who were able to re-discover their passion for cycling in our midst.
Our surroundings allow you to cycle in unspoiled nature, which is an unforgettable experience.
Comments about accommodations
The Ravbar Cycling Hotel boasts more than 50 years of family tradition. Since 2008 our accommodation is registered as a cycling hotel, as the owner Jože is one of the main cycling experts in Dolenjska and Bela krajina and the author of the map of cycling routes in the region. He will be able to advise you on the best cycling tours in Dolenjska and Bela krajina for mountain, gravel, road and electric bikes. We are also happy to prepare an individual cycling program for you, which we fully adapt to your wishes and requirements. Additionally, we have a free and secure garage space for storing and washing bicycles.
As part of your stay with us, we offer you free of charge:
- a cycling map of Novo mesto with its wider surroundings,
- help with organising cycling and hiking tours,
- sightseeing advice,
- unlimited use of wireless internet connection,
- use of the club room,
- use of the picnic hut,
- use of the fitness room,
- table tennis equipment,
- mountain or road bike rental (in case of longer stay or at extra charge in case of shorter stay).
- More than 50 years of tradition,
- best location,
- superior accommodation,
- friendly atmosphere,
- beautiful nature just a stone’s throw away (a hidden gem for cyclists),
- long-lasting cycling tradition and knowledge of Dolenjska and Bela krajina,
- excellent cuisine in Novo mesto and its surroundings.
We can provide you with maps and tips and there is bike rental and bike service in the immediate vicinity. Upon request, we also organize guided tours and rent bicycles.
Jože Ravbar has been organizing cycling trips since 1973. He rode mountain and road bikes all over Slovenia and also in other parts of Europe: France (stages of the Tour de France) and Corsica; the Italian Dolomites, Sardinia and the Elbe; on almost all Croatian islands that have ferry connections; Montenegro (Lovčen, Durmitor …); Macedonia (Galičica Park, around Lake Ohrid); Austrian Alps (Grossglockner …). His specialty is exploring Dolenjska and Bela krajina, where he will be able to point you towards many hidden gems that only the locals know.
His son Uroš actively trained cycling in his youth. Between 2004 and 2006 he was the first Slovene to travel around the world by car, he cycled over to the highest mountain pass in the world Khardung la (5,602 m), and in 2010 he became an Ironman at the triathlon in Zurich (3.86 km swimming, 180 km cycling and 42.2 km running). More at www.ravbar.org.
Here are some examples of mountain, road or trekking bike trips:
Additional bike routes:
- TRDINOV VRH: Novo mesto – Trdinov vrh 1.178 m – Gospodična – Podgrad – Laze – cycling hotel Ravbar Novo mesto (55 km).
- KOČEVSKI FORESTS WITH MOUNT MIRNA GORA in Bela krajina. We can organize the transport of bicycles to the Kočevsko forests, and organize a guided tour along interesting forest paths of the region. We climb to Mirna gora and descend to the Gače ski resort, on to Base 20 and all the way to Podturn. There we load our bikes and drive to the cycling hotel Ravbar in Novo mesto, which is 14 km away. We ride a total of 30 to 60 km depending on your abilities.
- KOSTANJEVICA NA KRKI (the Venice of Dolenjska) – Novo mesto – Ratež – Brusnice – Tolsti vrh – Charterhouse of Pleterje – Veliki Ban – Kostanjevica – Zameško – Otočec – cycling hotel Ravbar Novo mesto (60 km).
- LJUBEN CYCLING ROUTE – Novo mesto – Uršna sela – Dolenjske Toplice – Podturn – ascent to BAZA 20 – Hudičev turn and Soteska – Straža – Prečna airport – cycling hotel Ravbar Novo mesto (60 km).
- TO BELA KRAJINA to the home village of Slovenian cyclist Jani Brajkovič to Bojana vas – Drašiče – Božakovo – Metlika – Črešnjevec – Semič – Uršna sela – cycling hotel Ravbar Novo mesto (80 km).
- Report on Radio Slovenia “Cycling is in my DNA!” about the life of Jože Ravbar. Click here. (use google translate)
- Article on Siol.net JOŽE RAVBAR, DOLENJSKA NATIVE WHO CAN BE FOUND AT MOST CYCLING RACES “I am happy to live in a time when Slovenia has become a cycling superpower.” Click here. (use google translate)
- Presentation of cycling in the region – Click here for more information. (use google translate)
- We also recommend that you to visit the website https://www.visitdolenjska.eu/en/
We can help you choose cycling routes according to your preferences. Visit us and we will be happy to advise you.